COACH DON MEYER MEMORIAL SERVICE PLANS FINALIZED
Celebration of Life to be held Sunday, June 1 at 2 p.m. at Lipscomb's Allen Arena
I started this blog in August 2011. The 5th one I wrote about was Don Meyer (http://mybhx.com/greatest-basketball-coach-of-all-time/), but what I wrote is nothing compared to what this person contributed to this world……
Family, former players, coaches, friends, alumni and fans will gather to celebrate the life of Coach Don Meyer on Sunday, June 1 at 2 p.m. at Lipscomb University’s Allen Arena. More specifically, and appropriately, they will gather on Don Meyer Court inside the arena.
Former Lipscomb players, coaches, student assistant coaches, staff members and trainers who were part of Coach Meyer’s Bison Basketball family are invited to bring their families to a dinner after the memorial service. It will be held in McQuiddy Gym where Coach Meyer amassed most of his 665 wins as Lipscomb’s head coach. If you are part of that group, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the number from your family that will be able to attend. Please forward this email to others that are part of this group.
Another memorial service will be held on another Don Meyer Court in Aberdeen, South Dakota this Saturday, May 24 at 3 p.m. inside the Joseph H. Barnett Center on the campus of Northern State University. Coach Meyer coached the Northern State Wolves for the final 11 seasons of his coaching career.
A tribute website has been set up at www.coachmeyertribute.com where you can view videos, share stories, post photos and learn more about the life and legacy of Coach Meyer. You can also post messages on Coach Meyer’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/coachdonmeyer and to his Twitter page @CoachDonMeyer
Donations in Coach Meyer’s honor and memory may be made to the following:
- Don and Carmen Meyer Center of Excellence at Avera Cancer Institute – Aberdeen, South Dakota
- Don and Carmen Meyer Endowed Scholarship – Lipscomb University
- Don and Carmen Meyer Endowed Scholarship – Northern State University
There are several online videos that you will want to make sure you watch. Here are links to a few:
- Inaugural Don Meyer Evening of Excellence introduction - September 2009
- Memories, Moments and McQuiddy - Coach Meyer shares memories as he leaves Lipscomb in 1999
- Coach Meyer’s last official public speech – Rally for Avera Cancer Institute
- Jimmy V Award – presented at ESPY Awards in 2009
- ESPN E:60 feature – as narrated by Buster Olney
- Lipscomb Athletes Chapel Talk – October 4, 2012
Here are a few links to web stories that have been posted since Sunday:
- Don Meyer was a teacher above all – by Buster Olney, ESPN.com
- Don Meyer dies at age of 69 – by Buster Olney, ESPN.com
- Don Meyer was a coach of life, not just basketball – by David Climer, The Tennessean
- Lipscomb legend Don Meyer passes away at 69 – by Mark McGee, LipscombSports.com
- Don Meyer, a coach with 923 victories, is dead at 69 – by Richard Goldstein, The New York Times
Please use your social media to help spread the word about the memorial services. Please forward this email to others. Finally, please continue to pray for Coach Meyer’s family.
-– Brent High, Associate Athletic Director at Lipcomb University